Santa stop here

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A good nurse

"I think you'll be a good nurse because you just care about people. I mean like taking care of babies and old people..." The words, spoken by Aaron, were music to my ears. He's such a sweet kid. We were on the way to my mom's (the kids call her "Tia") house, and I was explaining to them that I didn't have class this morning, but my summative evaluation. The evaluation is where my instructor tells me what all I did well in clinicals as well as areas that need improvement. That's when Aaron decided to give me an evaluation of his own.
The meeting with my instructor went well. She had extremely positive feedback for me on both my nursing care study as well as my evaluation. Of course, that is one of the things all of us students love about our instructor: she always took the time to offer feedback and constructive criticism on all of our assignments. Her philosophy was the assignments would just be "busy work" if she didn't offer feedback. I think I speak for our clinical group as a whole when I say we appreciate that.
I stayed on campus for a couple hours to study with two classmates, then headed to pick up A & A from their Tia's house. Mom had already fed them and fed me, too. Muchas gracias for any meals I do not have to prepare myself!
We ran home and grabbed a water sample from the pool then headed to Leslie's to have the water tested. Fortunately, the only thing off was the phosphates, and I already had the chemical to treat that, so I wasn't out of pocket for anymore pool expenses (for the time being, anyway). The kids wanted desperately to swim, but it was 3:00 and felt like the heat of the day, so I told them to wait a couple of hours.
Meanwhile, I folded some laundry and laid down for a nap. I know, I just blogged about how naps aren't good for you, but I knew I'd never make it through the rest of this evening without one. After that I had the kids vacuum and empty the dishwasher before they could swim--what a mean mom I am! The nerve!
I dragged my laptop outside to work on NCLEX questions while they swam, then ventured back in to throw together a pasta salad with grilled chicken for dinner. It turned out pretty tasty if I do say so myself. I don't generally use a recipe for pasta salad, so I never know just how it will turn out.
I agreed to bake three 6-inch cakes for RoseMary's 4th of July celebration, even though we won't be able to attend. She wanted the individual cakes for her 2 sons and my grandmother who all recently did or will celebrate birthdays. I ran by Michael's craft store to buy the cardboard circles, then by Costco to gas up the van ($2.34/gallon is the cheapest I've seen in several weeks!), and finally by my sister, Shannon's, to borrow her 6-inch cake pan. I have two pans, but can bake all three at the same time if I use her pan, too.
Wow, the time now is 11:30 p.m. I still need to tackle Alisa's hair and I wanted to review a few more practice questions, (not to mention the fact that my nap is wearing off), so I'd better close for now. Tomorrow is a busy day...beginning with my final exam at 8:00 a.m.! Good night. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. aww, what a sweet young man aaron is! you are so lucky to have two polite, loving kiddos :)

    the test went faster than i thought. i was thinking you would be there all day! im glad you made it through!

    i hadnt decided on going to rosemarys yet or not, but if your cakes are gonna be there, i might just show up! ;)

    ReplyDelete