Santa stop here

Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm a survivor!

It seems that the times between blogs is getting longer and longer. Something I used to try to do daily gradually shifted to a couple of times a week to every couple of weeks. It's not that I don't have things to blog about. It's just that the whole "time management" issue with home, family and school has not worked itself out just yet. I'm trying!
I chose the title "I'm a survivor" because I just finished my 8 weeks of OB/Newborn...and passed with an A in clinicals and a B (as in barely) for theory. The clinicals were great. I actually witnessed two births and cared for newborns in the newborn nursery and neonatal intensive care unit as well as a new mom in Postpartum and an expectant mom in antepartum. The experience was just awesome if not way too short. The theory grade was based on two exams only. The first one covered "normal" pregnancy, labor and delivery plus the healthy newborn. It wasn't too bad. The second exam covered complicated pregnancy/childbirth, contraceptives, women's health, etc. It was a "bugger-boo" as my father-in-law would say. I came oh-so-close to not even passing the exam. Several of my classmates didn't pass the exam or the course and will have to move on to Pediatrics, but re-take the OB/Newborn segment in the spring. My heart, mind and livelihood are so set on a May 2010 graduation I don't know what I would do if I had to wait until December 2010 to graduate. I guess I'd do like everyone else and cope with it somehow. It would definitely be difficult.
So, this week it's on to Cooks Children's Hospital in Fort Worth for the remaining eight weeks of this semester. I feel like I've been printing paperwork all weekend long in preparation. No wonder the computer lab in the nursing building has banned nursing students from printing on campus. If 10 students printed out all of the paperwork for clinicals, they'd probably go through a ream of paper every hour. Imagine that times the 100 or so students per graduating class! I'm just looking at all of the paperwork coupled with the fact that the paperwork is due at the end of clinicals and I'm wondering how I'm going to do it. If anyone feels like praying or is looking for something to pray about, "pick me! pick me!" I can use all of the prayers I can get! I must close for now. It's after midnight, and we're planning to attend 8 a.m. mass then C.C.E. at 9 a.m. Good night. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment