Santa stop here

Monday, June 28, 2010

Shhhh...be very, very quiet

Yesterday was my cousin Barrett's birthday, and I might have actually pulled off planning a surprise for him. At any rate, we all had a ball. Let me tell you what we did...

I know I've mentioned the Levitt Pavilion's free concert series for the summer in previous blogs. I knew that Barrett was planning to attend last night's performance of the "N'awlins Gumbo Kings" so, unbeknownst to Barrett, I spread the word for our friends and family to join us to celebrate Barrett's day and enjoy the concert. I baked a batch of Key Lime cupcakes (and plain ones for those who don't like the twang of lime) and made an experimental pitcher of Sangria. Barrett joined us for a rushed dinner of roast beef with potatoes and carrots, rice-a-roni, and mixed veggies. I say rushed because I attended a baby shower from 4-6, and since the dinner invitation was kind of an afterthought, the only thing that was done when I returned home after 6 p.m. was the roast. We didn't sit down to the table to eat until after 7. My plan was to get to the Levitt Pavilion in time to ask the Friends of the Levitt representative who introduces the band to please publicly acknowledge the birthday boy with the balloons tied to his chair seated in the audience, but that didn't happen. Barrett might have been a little suspicious that we were loading up more stuff than we usually take with us, but he didn't let on. Also, I guess I forgot to tell Alisa and Aaron that this was a surprise, so they kept asking, "Is Tia coming?" or "Is Aunt Shannon coming?" I just replied, "I don't know...maybe," and tried to give them the "Now, please zip-it" eye without much success. Guess I don't use that look often enough for them to interpret it.
Anyway, Grandmom came with Tia who brought a "jazzy cheeseball" with pita chips. Shannon, Leyla & Xavier brought chips & salsa and plastic cups. Lorenzo & Lani brought balloons and bottled water. Uncle Mark and D came with chips and soft drinks. We ran into our family friend affectionately called "T'Madeline" and her friend (Darren's mom), Miss Peggy. Francesca and Tree joined us which was a real treat because Tree is usually working long hours like Mike or has to head out early from whatever we're doing to go to work. It was nice to see his long legs stretched out relaxing on his lawn chair just enjoying the evening. Aretha and Darren Flowers made it all the way from Keller, TX, too. Heck, PaPa even ventured out to the Levitt for the first time. I don't know who was more surprised with the turnout, Barrett or myself.
We had a blast. The key lime cupcakes (if you click on the cupcake, it's supposed to link you to the recipe; if not go to www.bettycrocker.com and type in "key lime cupcakes" in the search box) and Sangria were both well-received, and the "N'awlins Gumbo Kings" were awesome musicians. Frannie led a second line with a string of us waving white paper towels and parading around the grounds. Some strangers joined our strange procession; others looked at us wondering what in the world we were doing. They obviously didn't have N'awlins roots or Louisiana friends! T'Madeline doled out paper towels as needed.
So, my friends, that was it: a birthday fit for a "N'awlins Gumbo King." Happy Birthday, Barrett. Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. Hey aunty!!! im not sure how to follow your blog but i'll figure it out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Xavier. I see you figured it out! Welcome to my life, I mean, blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm toying with my own profile pic. Bear with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the recipe too!


    So glad you stopped by!! I love your graduation picture!!

    Big Fat Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! Thanks for following my blog. I may not always know what's for dinner, but I usually have a pretty good idea about dessert! -EW

    ReplyDelete
  6. just came over for the first time, enjoyed your post and I will look up the recipe :) I read a little on your profile...I love that you were a midwife. That makes you special right there. My last two babes were delivered by a midwife....I love her, I am sure you have been loved many times too :)Happy 4th to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Eastlyn, wish a happy birthday to Barrett from the blog world!That is so sweet that you planned such a nice surprise. We love surprises! I am always looking for yummy new recipes. Have a great day today!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Eastlyn, thank you for your warm comment today. Family has always been the most inportant thing to me. I hope you have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete