Santa stop here

Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Christmas parade

Every day seems like a busy day although for the life of me I cannot account for where my time goes.  My house is not tidy, so I'm not cleaning all day long. My meals aren't planned months in advance, so I'm not organizing daily/weekly/monthly meal plans and coordinating grocery shopping lists.  Neither my kids nor I are not well-dressed, so I'm definitely NOT spending my time shopping.  Where do my days go?
Anyway, yesterday was a usual busy day around here.  It started with a one-mile run at the park.  For all of you in-shape mamas out there, don't applaud me just yet.  I normally do not run, period.  I'll walk all over the neighborhood for over an hour, but I've never been much of a runner.  Yesterday's "circumstance" came about as the result of a fitness program to which our pediatrician referred my daughter.  Because she is overweight and we have a family history of high cholesterol and hypertension, etc. Alisa qualified for the program as "high risk" for health issues later in life.  Anyway, the one-mile "run" was to establish a baseline for Alisa's performance, and since I was there along with another mom, we decided to walk the mile to encourage our kids.  The other mom asked if I wanted give running a try, and I agreed to try and run one lap around the park (5 laps make one mile). We ended up doing a walk one lap, run one lap type thing, which wasn't so bad.
After that we returned home to scoop up my son and take him to All-Region band try-outs.  The school was literally down the street from the dealership where my BIL works, so I dropped off my son and then went to get my oil changed.  When we returned to the school, Alisa and I waited a bit longer for Aaron to finish up.  There were 44 trombones trying out for about 9 spots, so we'll see how Aaron faired tomorrow.  He doesn't think he made it, but there's always next year when we can afford for him to take the private lessons the school offers.
Later in the evening, my sister dropped off my nephew and we made our way downtown for the lighting of the Christmas tree and the Christmas parade.  The temperature had really dropped, and it was cold outside, but the parade didn't last too long, and it was a lot of fun to see the cars, trucks, trailers and Elvis impersonators riding mini-bikes all decked in holiday lights!  Sorry, I would've taken pics, but (1) I forgot my camera; and (2) ever since I've had to resort to logging on with googlechrome vs internet explorer, I can't upload images to my blog.  If anyone has any tips about how to resolve that I'd love to hear them!
When I returned home I was supposed to stop by my mom's to help her put together a craft for her Parent's Day Out students.  My sister and BIL were there so I delivered my nephew to them and ended up staying a bit longer than I expected to finish the craft.
Finally, after I returned home, I mushed together sausage, baking mix, shredded cheddar cheese, minced onion, garlic and celery and shaped them into balls for another "potluck" the hubs was having on his job. 'Tis the season!  I'll try and post some of the recipes I've tried recently as soon as I figure out the attaching a picture thing.
Speaking of recipes...back in August or September around the beginning of the school year, someone posted on their blog a recipe for homemade granola bars.  They wrapped them in wax paper, sealed them with a sticker and ribbon for their child to take to school (first day of school treat maybe?).  Anyway, my cousin asked me for a recipe for granola bars, and that one came to mind only I cannot remember who posted the recipe!  If you are that person or remember that post or just have a great granola bar recipe, please leave a link in the comment section if you'd be so kind.  Thank you! Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. Impressed! I loathe running. I'd rather clean toilets than run. So...way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been extra busy. What happened to Christmas being full of peace? Hope you had a great weekend and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy and congrats on running/walking the mile. What an inspiration to your daughter. Hope the holidays calm down a bit, or speed up in the case of your work outs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. one mile is a great start! when I was in college it was so easy to lose weight I only had to run one mile a day and it would fall off. wish I could say the same today!! Sounds like you are busy!! Hope your holiday season is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I feel exceptionally busy but I'm not getting a whole lot done. But I'm happy. I guess that's getting the main thing done!!!

    Go the running! I'm so slack. I need to do better. Shall I be really cliched and start in January!? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, you are busy! Tis the Season. Happy Annivesary today, Eastlyn. I hope you celebrate yourselves and how far you've come since your I-do's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you certainly are busy. This time, you're not figuratively running, you're literally running. Indeed, yours and my home may not be clean but at least our days are filled with family time. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete