Santa stop here

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fool proof shortbread cookies

Greetings fellow bloggers!

It's been a year since my last post, so I figure it's past time. With the holidays coming up I have lots of "cookie baking" engagements to fulfill. I am always searching for yummy but not too labor intensive cookie recipes that look and taste great. One of my nursing instructors gave me a marvelous shortbread recipe but I don't know where my copy is. Here is the "replica by memory," if you will, of that recipe...simple and sweet.

Fool-proof shortbread cookies (Yields 3 dozen cookies)

2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla (or flavor of your choice)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat softened butter and sugar together until fluffy; add egg yolk only. Mix well. Add vanilla. Mix in flour until well-incorporated.

Drop by rounded spoonful (or cookie scoop) onto ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.

Beat the egg white with a fork until frothy. Brush on flattened cookies and sprinkle with chopped pecans (or sprinkles or colored sugar for the holidays).

Bake in 350 degree oven for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 3-5 minutes on pan and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!!

Until next time,
Eastlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment