Santa stop here

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Let Freedom Ring

My country 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died, Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountainside, Let freedom ring!
Don't know why I'm feeling so patriotic these days. I really think that America at large has a deeper sense of patriotism ever since 9-11-01. For all of the devastation, heartache and fear caused on that day, love of country and one another seems heightened ever since.
Today in church my uncle who is a retired U.S. Navy veteran got a little choked up during the prayer of the faithful when he prayed, "Thank you for all of the men and women who lost their lives defending our country. Let us remember on this Memorial Day that freedom is not free. We pray to the Lord." The congregation responded, "Lord hear our prayer." The emotional outpouring of feeling in that simple prayer really brought home to me what Memorial Day is all about. I thought of the brother of one of my former students who lost his life about 2 years ago in Iraq. I wonder if his mother's heart breaks all over again remembering her son. I know mine does, and I didn't even know him personally. I thought of the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery and the rows and rows of uniform headstones which will be so gallantly decorated this weekend. And then there is always the majestic flag with 50 stars against a navy blue background in the upper lefthand corner framed with 13 stripes (7 red alternating with 6 white)
For all of her warts and bumps and shortcomings, America is an awesome country, and I am truly proud to be an American. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment