Santa stop here

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

from August 1, 2009

It’s day two at DFW Hyatt Regency for the Diocesan RCIA training I must admit that the seminar has been extremely informational. The presenters are obviously well-trained and familiar with the content because they present it well. Scott and Bill both appear younger than me, but are both married with 4 children each. Pattie is a bit older. She has been married 40 years and has 6 children and an “ever-increasing number of grandchildren” according to her introduction. I can’t help but wonder what my life would have been like if I had married a “good Catholic young man.” Even with four children these young men and their wives are active participants in their faith communities. I can’t even get my husband to attend mass on the Sundays he is off work 4 times a year. I could so see myself working with programs like Pre-Cana, which is like a marriage preparation program where married couple “mentor” couples preparing for marriage and other “couple-centered” groups with a different partner. On a painful and personal note, one thing has been made abundantly clear: that is, I am a terrible witness. My story, my faith, my Christian example are not enough to win Mike over. I just try to remember that it has more to do with God’s time than mine. Oh well. I don’t know if it’s good. I don’t know if it’s bad. All I know is it is what it is.
We have eaten well today. Breakfast was Belgian waffles (not so good; a little tough), scrumptious red-skinned potatoes and sausage patties. Lunch was chunky chicken noodle soup (I mean lots of chicken), huge sandwiches: layers of smoked turkey, cheddar cheese, lettuce & tomato on a large ciabatta-type roll, salad with buttermilk ranch dressing and a choice of individual packets of chips. Finally, dinner consisted of a salad (fresh baby spinach, a strawberry halve, mandarin oranges, spiced walnuts, grape tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion served with honey mustard dressing), chicken breast served over cornbread dressing and whole “skinny” green beans sautéed with onion. And, for dessert: pecan tarts with a dollop of whipped cream and shaved chocolate on top and yummy swirls of some type of vanilla cream (maybe condensed milk) and chocolate syrup around the tart on the plate. Ummmmm! I ate every bite and washed it all down with a cup of decaf with plenty of cream and sugar.
I’ve chatted with the kids who are having fun with T’Lani & Uncle LoLo. Lani & I talked at length—about nothing really; just catching up over the past couple of days. Now, I’m watching a re-run of Saturday Night Live and about to call it a night.
Tomorrow breakfast is at 8 a.m. I’ll have to check out some time before mass which begins at 11:00. We have sessions up until 3:00 p.m. then it’s off to pick up A & A and head home. Good night. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment