Santa stop here

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cake and more cake

Well, it's 11:15 p.m., do you know where your children are? Silly question, I know. Don't know what made me think of that nonsense. It is from some campaign back in the 70's. Anyway, I have to blog quickly because I have cakes in the oven and 2 more to bake. My cupcakes will have to wait until tomorrow since I've already made one "quick trip" to Wal-Mart tonight not realizing I was so low on cupcake wrappers. I've already started a whole new list...
Why all the baking you might ask? It's only because we have a ton of May birthdays in our family and this Saturday is the big bash to celebrate them. Shawn & Shannon were born May 19th, Lorenzo Jr. on May 22, and Leyla on May 23 (not to mention Sasha on the 10th and Aunt Faye on the 20th. Then there are the close family friends like Angie on the 23rd, too, and John-John on the 25th. Needless-to-say, the occasion requires lots of cake! I'm thinking I'll do a 2-layer 10-inch, a 2-layer 8-inch (both white cake, buttercream frosting) and a couple dozen each chocolate and strawberry soda cupcakes.
Now, it's 12:22 and all of the cakes are out of the oven and cooling on separate racks. The house smells yummy, but it's hot in here. So much for the "blog quickly" business :).
Today was nonstop busy. I got kids off to school; then, Mom, Lorenzo Jr. & I did some work at Grandmom's place in preparation of the painter coming early next week. We moved the bedroom furniture to my house for Alisa, and got it unloaded just in the nick of time before it poured down rain (for all of 10 minutes). That could have been quite a mess, but as usual God was watching out for us.
Lorenzo dug up some of the mint that took over my flower bed about two years ago; and he helped me cut down a weeping willow that is now taller than my house and growing in the same "flower" bed. I really thought Mike would be inspired that something had been done in the backyard and break out his lawnmower. Nothing doing. He napped from about 4:30 to 5:30-ish then got up and plopped on his big blue chair in the living room while I took my turn taking a nap from 6-7.
After we got the furniture unloaded and stacked in my living room it was time to shower, grab a bite to eat and head to Aaron's awards ceremony at 2 p.m. I picked up Tia and Leyla to accompany me, but we had to leave a few minutes early to pick up Alisa on time. I commissioned Mike to get Aaron since I had to drop Tia and Leyla back off at home after the awards. Aaron lettered in Pre-AP Math and Pre-AP Science. He also received the Rotary Award. Talk about make a Mama proud!
4 p.m. to 6 p.m. was a bit of a blur. I was tired and in "a zone"; that's why I just had to lay it down for a spell. We cleared out some leftovers from the frig for dinner. Alisa & I went for a 20-minute walk, and I've been baking and washing dishes ever since. Now, it's (past-)time for bed. Tomorrow will bring more of the same. A trip to the dollar store and grocery store, baking of cupcakes, making of buttercream frosting, helping Shannon clean in preparation of the fiesta at her house, Aaron's symphony orchestra concert at UTA and finally happy hour with Lorenzo Jr & some of his friends from high school. Somewhere in between I guess I need to frost and decorate the cakes & cupcakes and chop veggies for a veggie tray and cube cheese, too, for the reception after mass on Sunday *YAWN* I'm tired just thinking about it all (or maybe from doing it all all day long). Good night; until next time.


  1. Wow E- I'm exhausted just thinking about all the stuff you did. You are a real super mom! Oh, and that pic of the cake. Did you decorate that? Soooooo beautiful! Now that's talent.

  2. I admit I did decorate the Mother's Day cake. Thanks for your vote of confidence. Long, long ago I took a basic cake decorating class at Michael's (as a treat to myself), and I've been doing cakes for family (and Shannon's functions) ever since. Now "Eastlyn cakes" are kind of an expected deal at all of the gatherings. My kitchen is usually decorated with buttercream frosting of varying shades and piping bags everywhere for a day or two after!