Santa stop here

Friday, October 22, 2010

Five Question Friday-22 October 2010


  Good Friday morning to you, folks!  I can't believe I'm actually getting this posted before lunchtime.  If this is your first time stopping by, welcome.  This is a blog hop hosted by Mama M at My Little Life.  Click <here> to visit her blog where you can copy and paste the questions, read the rules and link up with other participating blogs.  Here goes...

1. Who is the better cook, you or your spouse?


Wait a minute! Are there spouses out there who cook?! Do you mean to tell me I got a defective model? How am I just finding this out 15 years later? Actually, I was reading someone’s blog recently and she said her husband could boil eggs and cook rice. I was impressed. I have a hard time cooking rice on the stove every time. I rely heavily on my vegetable steamer/rice cooker. If you want to know how to boil an egg to perfection, visit my IRL friend Nicki Woo the Home Guru. The hubs does not cook unless he is on the brink of starvation and according to the scales at his last physical that won’t be happening anytime soon! I have tried to encourage him to just try to make someting as simple as Hamburger Helper: here’s the hamburger (which I felt compelled to specify does not come in the box), here’s the “helper” part; here’s the measuring cup; and here’s a can of green beans—Got it? I come home to a box of Popeye’s fried chicken (complete with fried apple pies only ‘cause they were on sale 2/$1) and hungry people waiting for me to add some sides. The Hubs fries himself an egg from time to time, but that’s the extent of his “cooking”; therefore I win by default. I am the better cook.

2. How often do you talk to your mom?

I talk to my mom almost every day. She lives less than 2 miles away. Sometimes, she pops in while doing her morning walks. Sometimes I return the favor t replenish my water bottle and take a potty break when I’m walking. Occasionally, we’ll miss each other for a day or two, but that’s not too often, especially with cell phones.

3. Are you adventurous in the kitchen or stick to the recipe?

I love trying new recipes. The first time I try one, I follow it line for line. The next time, I’ll tweak it to suit my personal taste. I usually follow recipes, but I have gotten a little more adventurous with creating soups and casseroles without a recipe. If it turns out well, I try to remember what all I put together. Just as I admire people who can look at an outfit and make it without a pattern, I have great respect for folks like Lisa at Korean American Mommy with a God-given talent for knowing how to combine this and that and come up with a spectacular culinary delight or as we lay people call it: a recipe.

4. Is your second toe longer than your big toe?

Nope. My big toes are the longest and they stair-step down to the pinky toes.

5. Do you dress up for Halloween? (Bonus question: What will you be this year?)

I do not dress up for Halloween. I have a tall pointy witch’s hat that I wear when I take the kids around the neighborhood, but I usually just throw on a solid orange t-shirt or my “itsy, bitsy spider” Halloween t-shirt. This year I am desperately in need of a haircut and there seem to be more and more gray hairs sprouting up along the front of my hairline, so I’m considering a bride of Frankenstein look!

Have a great weekend!  Until next time...


8 comments:

  1. Yes it is not a myth.....some spouces do cook! Thanks for the advice on nursing school...I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my husband claims he can't cook and then will make amazing chicken parm or meatballs! I think he lies so that I don't ever put him in charge of dinner. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea my husband could cook, until we were married!! I got pregnant 4 months after we got married and I was too nauseous to cook anything. He took over the reigns and fed me chicken, rice, potatoes, etc. If I left it up to him, we'd eat sausage, eggs, steaks and potatoes non-stop. I'd be a million pounds...

    I lucked out and had no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I;m your newest follower! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely. You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    take a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. I only feature gorgeous, handmade stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I love your answers! When I first met my husband the only "cooking" he would do was barbeque something, it wasn't until he got his fire job that he was kind of forced to learn how to cook. I will never forget the day he asked me to teach him how to cook a few of his favorite meals LOL. I hope you had a great weekend and that you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For serious...you crack me up! "I am the better cook by default!" I love ya!

    I am totally envious of your stair step toes...I can only dream of that!

    I need to go, right now, and add you to my blog roll...I have meant to before, but I always forget as soon as I click away!! No more forgetting...off to blog roll you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks for visiting- I'm glad to find another fellow scrapbooker and nurse:) Nice to "meet" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love these 5 question fridays. I love finding out things about you that I didn't already know. And just the mention of that popeyes chicken and fried apple pies, well, i can smell it now. yum! thanks for the shout out, and I'm glad to know your toes are just as pretty as you are. Love you girl! Tell Tia I said I love her too!

    ReplyDelete