Santa stop here

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Thursday 10/21/10

 
It's been a while since I posted on the things for which I am thankful.  I think it is so important to follow Mama Hen's example and take a little time each week to reflect on the many blessings we have in our lives in the form of people, experiences and physical things.
(5) I am thankful for Fly Lady and her do-able routines and encouraging baby steps approach to home economics that are helping me slowly but surely move my home out of its present state of CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome).  I don't think I'll be ready for any hard-core entertaining this holiday season, but I have every confidence that one day I will.
(4) I am thankful for other parents who volunteer their time and resources to care for groups of kids involved in extra-curricular activities.  I have volunteered to help the Band Booster Club raise money by selling concessions at the Friday night football games as well as the Ballpark where the Texas Rangers play.  This Tuesday, however, was my first time to "chaperone" the kids on the bus headed to the UIL competition.  It wasn't a bad gig, but bumping around without a seatbelt (I felt so naked!) on the old yellow school bus is certainly not something I'd want to do week in and week out!  I am thankful for the parents that volunteer to do this so the same people don't have to do it over and over again.  Bus #6 had a pretty good group of kids, if I do say so myself.  The night before the competition, a large group of parents, including myself descended upon the band hall to decorate their children's lockers with streamers, curly ribbon, posters, candy, etc.  You could tell the parents of the juniors and seniors-they came prepared-Christmas garland, mardi gras beads, pipe cleaners....  I had a sheet of white cardstock, some tape, glitter glue and markers.  By the time we left, there were 200 green and white helium-filled balloons floating overhead, too.  The parents made sure to adorn every locker so the kids whose parents couldn't make it wouldn't feel left out.  Thank you Band Booster Parents!
(3) I am thankful for homemade caramel corn.  Nothing says Fall to me like caramel anything: caramel apples at the fair, homemade caramel corn, caramel apple cider, miniature candy bars with caramel passed out to trick-or-treaters. I have a great microwave caramel corn recipe I will share next time I make a batch and remember to take pics along the way!
(2) I am thankful for community.  It really does take a village to raise a child...and to mourn the loss of one, too.  The Williams family has been engulfed in prayers and support this week as 13-year-old Kelsee was laid to rest following a car accident last weekend.  Organizations (like our PTA) have rallied together to arrange for families to volunteer to prepare meals during their time of loss.  Kelsee's classmates have had grief counselors present on campus this week to help the students cope.  For many of them, this is probably the closest they've come to death in their young lives.  That's what community is all about--rallying together in good times and in bad. (click on older post below to view my previous blog about Kelsee-"In an instant").
(1) I am thankful for understanding dance instructors who tell me I had better keep bringing my daughter to dance class even though we don't have money for tuition or to replace her pink tights with holes in them right now.
*Bonus: It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...I am thankful for my husband, my kids, my extended family and everything that goes along with them all.  I am thankful for all of my wonderful blog buddies who keep me uplifted with their inspirational and entertaining posts and comments and who value my opinion and help validate who I am.  I love you all.
Now, I'm off to make my own "spirit shirt" for the band.  I've been "borrowing" my son's shirt, but as I knew would happen eventually, the day has come that we both need a spirit shirt at the same time.  I scored a t-shirt at Hobby Lobby on sale for $2.00 and purchased $1 worth of fabric and $.50 worth of Wonder Under fusible web.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  Until next time, dear friends...

7 comments:

  1. Unbelievable about that sweet child! You are right about community coming together to help one another, especially in a tragic time. I will say prayers. I also need to get organized and at times feel like it is a bit much. It is important to take those baby steps you talk about. I love caramel! I hope you are well Eastlyn! have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I am thankful for you! You always leave such nice comments and send such great emails! Thank you Eastlyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts, they always make me happy, peaceful, and grateful. You always have this way of reminding me of the important things.

    You have so many people who help out around you, because you are such a giver yourself. You are the most wonderful selfless person I know, and people are only trying to give back to you what you put out into the universe.

    Love you, and can't wait for that popcorn recipe. Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your thankful posts--they are truly uplifting! I'm thankful for you too Eastlyn. (By the way, I used to be in the marching band in high school and college. I started with the flute and moved on to the tenor saxophone. It was always so much fun to go to the football games and perform--thanks for reminding me of this awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eastlyn, your "Thankful" list is so wonderful! I am so happy to hear that your daughter can still go to her dance classes. What awesome instructors she must have! And by the way, I am thankful for YOU and the awesome blog love you give. Can't wait to hear how your shirt turns out. Have a great night my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your loss. I also love that your daughters dance instructors are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You really have a wonderful list of things to be thankful for. I was in band in Junior high and High school, I don't remember our parents doing cool stuff like you are doing, that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete