Santa stop here

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mean Old Mama

Last Thursday, the Hubs had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 9 a.m. about 45 minutes from where we live.  I always go with him because I am concerned with his health and I like to help him recall all of the past year's complaints: What about the pain in your hip? Did you mention the heartburn? etc...Actually, I just like the satisfaction of the doctor confirming that losing weight would take care of about 90% of his "ailments."  The Hubs tends to believe it if anyone other than me says it!  Anyway, I digress, this e-mail is supposed to be about Alisa, my 12-year-old daughter.
Because the Hubs had the appointment, and I was accompanying him, and my mom had to work and her car was in the shop anyway, Alisa had to walk to school by herself for the first time ever.  We had discussed this fact earlier in the week when I scheduled the appointment.  Now, keep in mind we live less than a mile from her school.  Even lugging all of her stuff, it would only take her about 15 minutes tops to get from our front door to the school's front door-that's walking at a snail's pace.  I can make the walk in about 6 minutes.  Nonetheless, I was almost as nervous as Alisa was.  I had to quell the urge to call the attendance clerk and verify that Alisa had made it and e-mail each of her teachers just to get the confirmation that she was in class.  I figured there might be more of the same once I begin working in January, so this would be good practice for Alisa.
Fast forward to the afternoon.  After the appointment the Hubs and I stopped for a late breakfast, ran a few errands and returned to the house to select medical benefits for next year and complete some other paperwork we'd been sitting on for a while.  Around 3:45 the Hubs asked if we shouldn't cut off and go get Alisa from school.  I reminded him that she stays after school until 4:30 to practice her instrument in the band hall so she doesn't have to drag her percussion kit back and forth.  I was standing in the kitchen washing up dishes, peering out of the window and waiting for 4:30 to roll around when I saw Alisa marching stomping down the street!  I was overjoyed to see her and shocked just the same.  I smiled and shouted through the open window, "Lu-Lu!"  I glanced at the clock wondering if time had gotten away from me.  It was only 4:20...that's when it dawned on me: The kids were out for a 4-day weekend.  Friday was a teacher in-service day, and Monday was Columbus Day/State Fair Day.  There.was.no.staying.after.school.to.practice!  Alisa glowered at me and then burst into tears.  My poor baby girl not only walked to school but had to walk home from school, too, because her mean old mama had forgotten her!  Her feelings were hurt and she was furious that I had abandoned her-not just that morning but that afternoon as well.  I felt bad.  I really did.  Alisa said she fully intended to hold this one over us for the rest of our lives; and trust me I believe that!
Thank God one of our errands that morning had been going by the hardware store to get a sample of "key lime green" paint to test on her bedroom wall.  If that act alone wasn't worthy of forgiveness, then surely the french fries and micro-size Frosty from Wendy's would get us out of the doghouse!
Alisa knows how much I love donut holes, so I e-mailed her this image: it's a donut hole running toward a donut, both with outstretched arms.  The caption reads, "You complete me."  {I couldn't upload the image for whatever reason, but if you click on either italicized words above you can see it.}  I think she even found it in herself to forgive us because she baked us these yummy cupcakes on Monday:
Good job, LuLu!  You really do make my life complete.  I love you. -Mom
Until next time, Blog Buddies...

9 comments:

  1. OMG, that is a sad moment for both of you! I glad she has found it in her heart to forgive you =). I remember telling my parents I would hold things over their head forever too LOL. I usually forgot within a few day LOL. Now you have me wanting a milkshake and fries from Wendy's =) Happy Wednesday, I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the cutest shirt I ever saw--the "You Complete Me." I know she will forgive you...we all make mistakes, and this mistake was an honest one. I'm sure the cupcakes are a sign that she already has. By the way, how did the doctor's appointment go with the hubs? Did the doctor suggest...um, you know, that he should lose a little around the middle?--Too funny. I have to do the same thing with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Eastlyn, I'm sure she's already forgiven you. Glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wonderful cupcakes seem to say "Yeah, I'm sorry too" to me.

    (But you won't hear the words just in case she needs to hold it over you to get what she wants next time - girls are so good at that! Boys let you know and move on but girls. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWW!! (*sniff, sniff*) what a sweet story! at least next time alisa has to make the walk, it wont be quite as bad :) ....she did a beautiful job on the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post, I remember when I was a little girl and I would get so mad at my mom when she would make me walk to and from school. I think she even forgot about me a couple times lol... Children really do complete us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eastlyn, you're a great mom! I can see how much you love Alisa and how much she loves you. The cupcakes from her are a sweet peace offering ;-) And that donut hole and donut says it best, our children complete us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a chuckle at this one. Poor Alisa must have thought how lovely it was to be given independence in the morning and then... panic... this is my life from now on!!!

    We've all done the 'forgetful' parent thing, Eastlyn. Remind me to tell you about the time I left my newborn at the checkout and didn't realise for about 20 minutes...

    Also chuckling over your need to accompany the Hubs to the doctor. Men are all the same, aren't they!? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't that just make you feel awful?! I did something similar to my poor son yesterday. Today is his birthday and he didn't have school due to teacher conferences. Well yesterday it completely didn't register to me that since they didn't have school today they would celebrate his birthday yesterday. and. I. forgot. to. send. a. treat. :( My poor baby had to celebrate his birthday at school withought a birthday treat! :(

    ReplyDelete