Santa stop here

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

June/July Celebrations

Every time I log on to my computer I'm reminded of all of the occasions I've missed blogging about. Just before leaving for my scrapbook retreat I downloaded pictures from 4th of July (this year) and our trip to New York with the school band at the end of April. As I was hunting for the pictures on my computer, I came across pics from a couple of years ago. Did I ever develop any of the photos? Have I already scrapped some of them and they're stashed in a pizza box somewhere in the "craft room" (aka, "multipurpose" or "catch-all" room)? I thought I might feel just a little better if I took a few minutes to at least post a few of the pics before I retire for the night. There will be more to come as I become more organized in the very near future!
The Hubs grew up always requesting caramel cake for his June 18th birthday. I have searched high and low for a recipe similar to his Aunt Zeda's recipe. I found this one at Betty Crocker's website. The cake looked like a caramel cake, but the icing just didn't quite do it for me. You can read my review if you click on the link. The cake part was good, but I'll keep looking for a better caramel frosting!
Here are pics from the 4th of July impromptu get-together at my parents' house. I say impromptu because mom literally called me the day before the holiday and asked if she should grill some hot dogs and burgers and have everyone over. Umm, no, not really. She wouldn't accept that since she was feeling a little guilty about skedaddling out of town for our scrapbook retreat on Friday July 5. Then she asks what I want to bring. Umm, nothing 'cause I have lots to do to get ready for said scrapbook retreat AND I had to work 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on the night of the 4th. Anyway, we did end up getting together. I did end up making potato salad and a very patriotic five layer cake with whipped cream icing that slid all over the place inside the cake holder on the way to mom's...
 Me and the baby niece, Maycie
Cousins: Aaron, Xavier, Alisa, Micaela (Aaron's sig-o), Maycie & Leyla
 The slip-sliding away cake. It tasted great even if it was a little worse for its travels!
T'Lani's patriotic mini cupcakes. We did have real food, too, just in case you're wondering LOL!
I'll save the New York pics for a separate blog. Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. I love you and your wonderful family!!!! I miss you guys sooooo much! Looks like you had a great time on the 4th, and the cake looks scrumptious!!! I'm not kidding. . .boy you're talented:) My mom and sister came down here for the holidays. . .we hung out at the beach all weekend. Good times. . .hope to see you soon. . .don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cakes look yummy! But that caramel cake would fit right in with my caramel addiction!!! My aunt is a scrapbook consultant and goes on a few retreats every year! Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through The Price Family Blog! I'm your newest follower! I love your patriotic cakes! I look forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those cakes look delicious!! You definitely have a talent for baking... I'm glad you were able to get together w/ your family even if it was last minute :)

    ReplyDelete