Santa stop here

Friday, July 26, 2013

Summer Squash casserole

In a few hours I'll be heading to the beach. You would think I'd be packed or packing or sleeping or something productive like that instead of blogging, but what can I say? In preparation for the impromptu trip (the hubs and I figured this is the only weekend we're all going to be off together for the rest of the summer so we'd better just go for it!) I was trying to "clean out" the frig. I had a couple of yellow squash and a couple of zucchinis and about half of a rotisserie chicken on hand, so I went in search of some kind of casserole dish to incorporate it all. I originally found <this recipe> at www.allrecipes.com for Cheesy Zucchini Casserole. It sounded good, and I had everything needed so as not to have to warrant a "quick trip" to the grocery store (which sort of defeats the purpose of finding a recipe with stuff you have on hand). I was about to write a review with my "modifications" but then decided to post it here because it was almost a new recipe. Here's my version...

Eastlyn's Cheesy Summer Squash Casserole

2 yellow crook-neck squash, sliced or diced-your preference
2 small zucchini, sliced or diced-your preference
3 cups Italian foccacia bread, cubed (I made mine small <1 p="">
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 small purple onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
cajun seasoning to taste (optional)
two eggs, beaten
about 2 cups leftover chicken, shredded or cubed (I had 1/2 of a rotisserie chicken)
2 cups shredded cheese, divided use (I used Mexican 4-cheese blend)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with melted butter; set aside
I "blanched" my sliced squash/zucchini in boiling water for 5 minutes then placed it in ice water before draining off the liquid. I don't really think this step is necessary as the squash was really soft after baking...so you be the judge!
I sauteed the onion in about a teaspoon of butter just until translucent to "take the edge off."
Now, combine the buttered bread cubes, squash/zucchini, onion, seasonings, eggs, chicken and one cup of the cheese; stir until blended.
Spray 9x13 inch pan (or 2-quart casserole dish) with nonstick spray. Pour squash mixture into pan & spread out evenly. Top with remaining cup of shredded cheese.
Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove cover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until cheese is lightly brown.
Allow to cool slightly (about 10 minutes) and ENJOY!
**Tips: If you use plain bread, you may want to add a bit more seasoning, like maybe a teaspoon of Italian seasoning or fresh basil with the melted butter. White, yellow or green onion would probably be fine in place of the purple onion as well. I'll bet monterrey jack or straight cheddar (or any combination) would work, too. I wonder if I could try this in the crockpot to avoid turning on the oven? I'll try it and let you all know!**
Now, I really do have to go and pack and sleep! Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really yummy!!! We'll have to try this. I'm also going to try making a rotisserie chicken in my crock pot. (My friend did from a recipe on Pinterest and it turned out really good.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has an endless supply of squash from her garden. I might have to try this! Hope you had a great time at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious Eastlyn! I do love summer squash.

    ReplyDelete