Santa stop here

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Five Question Friday-13Aug10

Well, folks, it's that time of the week once again. I just love these theme days that make it so easy to blog! Just click on the Five Question Friday button to visit Mama M. and get the questions and rules for joining the fun. You can also link your blog with her linky and visit others who are participating in 5QF.

1. Have you ever visited another country?

I have been on a couple of cruises, but since the other countries were just ports of call I don't really consider that "visiting." I have been to Mexico, Jamaica, Grenada (Eastern Caribbean). I lived in Honduras, Central America for 2+ years as a Peace Corps Volunteer working a rural health education assignment. I also had the good fortune to visit Costa Rica (by way of El Salvador and Nicaragua) after I completed my service.

2. Where is the strangest place you have ever been?

I think the strangest place I've ever been would have to be the Bay Islands off of the northern coast of Honduras. It was primitive in a candles and outhouses sort of way, and I thought the native people were speaking another language. It turned out they were descendants of some Dutch culture and they were speaking English with a very strange lilt to it. I had to pay close attention to understand what they were saying!

I have to tell you a little story about this question and why it cracks me up. *WARNING: Crude humor to follow; skip to question #3 if you feel you may be offended.* Anybody remember The Newlywed Game? It was a game show back in the 70's and 80's where host Bob Eubanks brought three newlywed couples on the set. They had to answer questions separately and then come together and compare answers. The winner was the couple whose answers matched the closest. Making whoopee was the euphemism for you-know-what. Anyway...on one episode the host asked, "Where is the strangest place you've ever made whoopee?" (see the similarity to this question?). The one husband answered, "I'd have to say, 'up the butt, Bob'!" My Peace Corps buddies and I got a lot of laughs from that silly phrase. I think the contestant might have misunderstood the question. Then again, maybe not. LOL!

3. What is your favorite season?

I love spring and all of its signs of new life-rain, baby animals, budding trees, blooming flowers. It is such a welcome change from the cooped up, cold days of winter. Okay, okay, so I live in Texas and we sometimes don't have a "real" winter per se, but I'm sure those of you in colder climates might be able to relate to my love of spring. Don't hate!

4. What song will always cheer you up?

Time for confessions of a closet country music lover. I love "Keep on the Sunny Side" from the soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Art Thou? I don't know if it's considered blue grass or country music or what, but I love wailing right along with the CD in my finest Texas twang (much to my kids' and cousin's chagrin). Most people would never have guessed that I listen to that let alone know every word.

5. What disney character do you resemble most?

Although Tatiana from the latest Princess and the Frog movie might be the "obvious" answer since she's the only African-American Disney princess, I don't think I have as much spunk, vision and gumption as she does. Furthermore, Lord knows I don't consider myself a princess. I think I'd have to be Jiminy Cricket because he was always hopping around trying to get Pinocchio to follow the rules and do the right thing.

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha so you're starting love some country music too hehehe. I too seldom bloghop because of busy schedule with my kids that's why I am still up now that it is almost 1 am lol.. Just updating my blog before I go to bed. Thanks for dropping by Eastlyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like country music too! Not all of it but there are a few artists that I love. My husband used to like it too, then he turned traitor on me and now likes heavy metal. Like the 80s headbanging kind. yuck! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These question fridays are fun! Nice to learn about our fellow bloggers. Thanks for stopping by site thru the Nestwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Im a new follower from 5QF! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I always admired people who spent time helping others through the Peace Corps--you truly are one special person. I love the spring time the most too. There's something to be said for the start of new life everywhere around you. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eastlyn you are so funny bringing up the Newlywed Game. I used to love that game. I could see the question was really misunderstood. We went on one cruise and they varnished the shipe the entire time and I could not breathe. What a trip that was. Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. E-,

    I am peein' in my pants. The newlywed answer did me in! Oh my lawdy! His poor wife!!!! I just keep thinking she probably wanted to melt. Seriously, I'm cracking up as I type. I gotta tell Warwick this one. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously Funny! I think I'll be thinking "Up the butt bob" all day long! Hilarious! And, I love your jiminy cricket answer, he's such an underestimated character isn't he? Long forgotten about, overshadowed by princesses, but he's true Disney and one of the oldest characters out there.

    ReplyDelete