Santa stop here

Friday, August 6, 2010

Thanksgiving Thursday 8/5/10

Well, it's been quite a week in the Wilborn-White household. Way too much to elaborate on here. It's officially Friday morning, but I'm still up so it still seems like Thursday to me. I'm going to go ahead and post my Thanksgiving Thursday. This week I am thankful for...
(1) A job prospect. Everyone seems to think that nurses are in demand everywhere. Let me just correct your thinking. Apparently, experienced nurses are what's in demand. I'm steady looking for graduate nurse positions where I can hone my skills and gain that experience everyone is looking for. I found and applied for one such residency at a hospital not far from my house (about a 30-minute commute is all). My fingers are crossed, but it doesn't begin until February 2011.
(2) Pharmaceutical reps. Strange, huh? These are the well-dressed, briefcase on wheels pulling individuals we usually don't think too highly of when our little ones are running fever, in pain from an ear infection, and waiting to get in to see the doctor (or worse yet perfectly healthy and only in the office for shots with other kids who are sick). They walk up to the nurse at the window, schmooze a bit, pass out some cool freebies, and go right back. We stare at their backs, mumble under our breath and throw a nasty look at the nurse behind that glass window because we know it's going to be a little while longer before our child gets seen. Well, I'm thankful for my friend, Randy, who is one of the said legal drug pushers. He has lots of connections with hospitals and doctors' offices in the area and is passing out my resume everywhere he goes.
(3) Forgiveness. Last night my kids and I were walking around the neighborhood. My daughter is a little heavier than she should be, and I've been trying to encourage her to move more, mainly since the "eat less" approach just doesn't seem to appeal to her. I'm actually at a loss as to how to deal with her weight. She is self-conscious about it. Her feelings get hurt whenever my mother tells her outright that she needs to lose weight and she has stretch marks because she eats too much. (Way to preserve that self-esteem, Grandma! I just told the girl she grew so fast her skin couldn't keep up, which is true) Well, she was tired and didn't want to keep walking after about 15 minutes. She was getting an attitude and talking back. I finally asked her who she thought needed the exercise more. She zipped it and we walked around the block one more time. Later, I was in the kitchen washing dishes when she came in with puffy eyes. I knew she had been crying, and it was because of what I had said to her--bad mommy :-/ I apologized and got on the step stool so I could kiss her tear-streaked face (well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but only slight--the girl is tall!). And she forgave me.
(4) Cake mix. My dad's birthday is Saturday and he requested a coconut cake. So, I made the coconut frosting, shoved it in the fridge and grabbed yellow a cake mix from the cupboard. I got real fancy and substituted coconut milk for the water in the recipe because I was out of coconut extract. Then, I proceeded to ruin my cakes. It's a long story that involves putting the cakes in the oven, plans to zip to my mom's house to pick up kids and come right back, getting way-laid by my neighbor who just needed someone to talk to because he got fired from his job after 11 years (trust me when I say I heard ALL of the details of the circumstances surrounding his "wrongful" termination) and a husband who fell asleep. I was so disappointed when I came home and found two buckled down, humped up, shriveled cakes sitting in their pans on the stove, but I am thankful I had the ingredients to make another cake from scratch. The house note is due and there will be no trips to the grocery store for more cake mix! I guess I ought to be thankful my house didn't burn down, too!
(5) I am thankful for my family and friends whom I love and who love me in return (even when I'm a bit less than deserving of it). This week I'm especially thankful for my Comadre (my daughter's Godmother) who made my daughter's day when she sent a card inviting Alisa to spend the day with her and do some shopping next Friday.
BONUS: I am thankful for Cassiopeia at http://cassiopeiachats.blogspot.com for creating my personalized button. Didn't she do an awesome job?! Thanks again.
Good night. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to read your thanksgiving list, Eastlyn. I love that exchange between you and your daughter at the end, and I could tell your love for her is greater than the weight issue. You've had quite a week!

    ReplyDelete